Local Pokémon Go Players Celebrate Community Day

@PokemonGoApp (Twitter Account)

When players use the Pokemon Go App, this will see a screen like this

Michael Hodul, Rampage Special Contributor

From time to time, the Rampage publishes work from students in Journalism class. While these writers are not part of the regular staff, their work meets many (or all) of the same requirements of those on the Rampage staff. We congratulate these writers on their work!

Local Pokémon Go players came to the Mississippi Riverwalk on March 22 to celebrate Pokémon Go Community Day.

Players were on the lookout for the grass type Pokémon Treecko.

Along with the increased amount of that specific Pokémon appearing, an alternate colored “shiny” form of that Pokémon was released, its most evolved form was be able to learn an event exclusive move, and certain in game boosts were active.

During this Community Day, Treecko’s most evolved form, Sceptile, would learn the powerful grass type move, Frenzy Plant; the darker green “shiny” form of Treecko was released; and players were able to hatch in game eggs four times faster than usual.

Pokémon Go Community Day is a monthly three-hour event within Pokémon Go that encourages players to meet up for the event. Every month a certain Pokémon is featured, and that featured Pokémon appears in increased numbers during the duration of the event.

Pokémon Community Day has been occurring monthly since January 2018, and the Mississippi Riverwalk has always been a popular meetup spot for the event since the beginning.

Future Community Day events have been announced for May 19, June 8, July 21, and August 3.

Local player Jim O’Conner says that the Mississippi Riverwalk is “a nice place to walk around” and it has a “good amount of [Pokémon] spawns”.

Many players take advantage of this time to get to know other players in town.

Jon Uzel, co-creator of the Dubuque Pokémon Go Discord server, states that his favorite part of Pokémon Go Community Day is meeting people that he “Might not have met were it not for the game” and “Spending some time out with [his] kids”.

Pokémon Go Community Day has become an event that many players all around the world look forward to every month.

Niantic CEO, John Hanke, stated in an interview with IGN that Community Day has “Become the heartbeat of the community and [that] players have responded incredibly positively to that.”

Players are eagerly awaiting the next Community Day event, featuring the dragon type Pokémon, Bagon. The next Community Day will take place on Saturday, April 13 from 3PM to 6PM.

Future Community Day events have also been announced for May 19, June 8, July 21, and August 3. The Pokémon being featured in these events has yet to be announced.