Girls XC season review

Brent Cook

Teams line up for a meet at Luther College in Decorah, Iowa

Lily Krapfl, Rampage Special Contributor

The Dubuque Senior High School Women’s cross-country had a very successful 2019 season. Senior placed first in multiple meets throughout their season, including taking first in their home meet at the Dubuque Soccer Complex. Senior also took first in the district meet and runner up in the state meet.

Dubuque Senior Womens cross-country had twelve members qualify for the district meet and six of those twelve qualified for state. At the district meet six members placed in the top fifteen including Lillian Schmidt 2nd, Claire Edmondson 4th, Izzy Gorton 5th, Kate Miron 8th, Grace Ries 10th and Lucy Tompkins Garoutte 15th. Senior took runner up in the state meet as a team.

Head Coach, Coach Fischer said, “For me, watching the varsity runners accept the state runner-up trophy was a very gratifying experience because they deserve to be recognized among the best runners in the state of Iowa.”

Cross-country teams got the opportunity to run at the Dubuque Soccer Complex in honor of Jim Boughton. For Senior this was their only home meet of the season. Which is why taking first place in this meet meant so much to them.

Coach Fischer said, “Winning the Jim Boughton invitational, which is a meet that pays honor to my HS Coach, is a special thing for our team to accomplish.” Along with taking first place as a team, team member Lillian Schmidt set a course record.

What stands out most about the Dubuque Senior Womens cross-country team is their teamwork and care for one another. Team member Lillian Schmidt said, “This year the team has been so close”. Assistant Coach, Coach Weber said, “We have a uniquely close team that enjoys working hard together, racing together and having fun together”.

Dubuque Senior Women’s Cross-Country is ranked second in the state of Iowa as a team. Senior also has multiple individuals ranked in the state of Iowa.