Rampage

Filed under Features

Crayons for a Cause

Key Club reduces waste in a colorful way

Bailey Hammerand (12) Stacy Kloft (12) and spent a lot of time sorting through crayons

While working as a Waitress, Olivia Kruse (12) realized a source of waste within her restaurant: crayons. “I was shocked at how many crayons went to waste after kids finished coloring on their menus. I knew there had to be some way the crayons could go to better use,” said Kruse.

As a Lieutenant Governor for Illinois-Eastern Iowa Key Clubs, she reached out to the Scarce Project to coordinate a Crayon Drive. The Scarce Project collects used crayons from across the country and redistributes them to those in need. The broken crayons are melted into “super crayons” for children with special needs and the crayons in good condition are given to children in need. Not only does the project support kids, but it helps to eliminate the waste created by throwing out barely used crayons.

In the spring, after piloting the project at Village Inn, Kruse and a band of Key Club Members drove to local restaurants and dropped off collection bins. “I was surprised at how willing people were to help us with the project” stated Kalie Sigman (12), who helped with the crayon collection.

On Saturday August 25th, Dubuque Senior High School Key Club Members met to sort the crayons. They were sorted by color and condition. “It was hard peeling the crayons but it felt good knowing these broken crayons are getting new use” explained Stacey Kloft (12). Once the sorting is finished, they will be sent to the Scarce Project.

The Dubuque Senior High School Key Club would like to thank, Village Inn, Catfish Charlies, Houlihan’s, Perkins, Red Robin, Applebee’s, IHOP, Buffalo Wild Wings, and Carlos O’Kelly’s for their support of the project.

• Features

Volunteering at the Dubuque Rescue Mission

• Crayons for a Cause

Features

Is it time to ditch the plastic straw?

• Crayons for a Cause

Features

Women and Leadership: Times have changed

• Crayons for a Cause

Features

Soap carving project done in English class

• Crayons for a Cause

Features

Meet Our StuCo Team!

• Crayons for a Cause

Features

Treating your pumpkin spice fever

• Crayons for a Cause

Features

The Homecoming Dance is in 2 days. Are you ready?

• Crayons for a Cause

Features

Making money without a job

• Crayons for a Cause

News

Get Creative!

• Features

The Student News Site of Dubuque Senior High School
Crayons for a Cause